April has been litigating business disputes for nearly 15 years in wide variety of cases involving breach of contract, business torts, employment matters, insurance coverage, insider fraud, and competitor disputes. She has specialized expertise in handling complex cases involving multiple parties and working with insurers and regulators while managing her clients’ litigation matters.
Prior to joining Patel Burkhalter Law Group, April practiced law from 2011 to 2016 with Jones Walker, LLP in Atlanta, and Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A. in Jackson, Mississippi, from 2002 to 2011, where April was made partner in 2009. In these capacities, she gained a broad range of experience in litigation matters. Some of her representative cases include complex RICO litigation with 150 plaintiffs, antitrust boycott lawsuits for multiple corporations, and favorable resolution of multi-million dollar insurance disputes on fidelity bond claims involving bank fraud. April has tried cases in state and federal courts in the areas of employment discrimination, antitrust, contract disputes and insurance coverage.
April is a Member of the Georgia Bar, Alabama Bar, Mississippi Bar and Arkansas Bar and has actively practiced law in all four states. She is admitted to practice before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals as well as state and federal courts in these states. Among her many achievements, she was named as a “Rising Star” among Mid-South Super Lawyers, Mississippi Business Chronicle’s Top 30 Under 30, and is a graduate from the ABA National Trial Academy.
April received her J.D. from Cumberland School of Law, where she was named a Judge Abraham Caruthers Teaching Fellow, was a member of the Cumberland Trial Advocacy Board, and served as Senior Associate Editor for the American Journal of Trial Advocacy. A native of Alabama, she earned her B.A. from the University of South Alabama, double majoring in criminal justice and political science.
April, along with her husband Jay and their three children, calls Decatur, Georgia home. As the mother of one-year-old twins and a preschooler, she still finds time to play league tennis, travel, enjoy cooking and wine-tasting, and volunteer as a Sunday School teacher for three and four year-olds at The Episcopal Church of the Epiphany in Decatur.
- Banking Litigation
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Insurance Coverage
- Employee and Independent Contractor Disputes
- Insider/Employee Fraud
- Appellate Practice
- Collections & Foreclosures
• Represented financial institution named as primary defendant in RICO litigation filed by 150 plaintiffs involving mortgage fraud claims
• Defended and negotiated favorable settlement for multiple casinos in antitrust boycott lawsuit
• Obtained directed verdict on behalf of national food product manufacturer in breach of distributorship agreement
• Obtained favorable payout on multi-million dollar fidelity bond claim for financial institution involving employee fraud
• Obtained numerous judgments and negotiated favorable payments of defaulted commercial loan obligations
• Obtained jury verdict in employment discrimination case for national retailer