Brian Burkhalter is a Principal at Patel Burkhalter Law Group in Atlanta, Georgia. He began his legal career as an attorney with Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers before joining Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith, LLP and later Busch Slipakoff & Schuh, LLP. Brian is an experienced construction and litigation attorney and a trusted business counselor to his clients.
Brian graduated from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Journalism and Public Relations and received his J.D. from Mercer University Walter F. Georgia School of Law. He is a member of the Georgia Bar, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia. Other memberships include acting as Barrister in the Lamar American Inn of Court, the State Bar of Georgia’s Construction, Litigation and Young Lawyers Divisions Sections, the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry, the Construction Finance Management Association, the Associated General Contractors of America and is volunteer general counsel for Stepping Stones Educational Therapy Center in Griffin, GA. Brian has also been recognized as the 2011 Georgia Rising Star in Construction Litigation, Construction | Surety and Business Litigation.
Brian is originally from Griffin, GA and now calls Peachtree City, GA home with his wife and three children. When not assisting his clients, he enjoys golfing, Crossfit, SEC football, whiskey tasting, craft beer brewing and spending time with his family.
- Construction and Infrastructure
- Professional Services
- Real Estate
- Construction & Infrastructure Law and Litigation
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Insurance Defense & Coverage Litigation
- Transportation Claims & Litigation
- Director & Officer Liability Coverage Disputes
- Appellate Practice
- Represented waterproofing contractor in arbitration concerning construction and design defects at the construction of the Atlantic Station project in Atlanta, Georgia with claimed damages exceeding $100 million.
- Represented specialty contractor in multiple contract disputes concerning unpaid contract amounts related to the CityCenter project in Las Vegas, Nevada, the largest privately-funded construction and development project in the country, with total amount in controversy in excess of $500 million.
- Represented specialty contractor in pursuing a claim concerning unpaid contract amounts and delay claim damages incurred in the construction of five-star hotel project in Florida.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in pursuing manufacturer of defective product and successfully obtained two appellate decisions validating right to pursue claims.
- Defended specialty contractor in a matter concerning water intrusion and alleged construction defects at a condominium project in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating contracts for developers of high-rise condominiums and hotels, hospitals, industrial real estate developers, colleges and universities, shopping center developers, construction managers and general and specialty contractors.
- Defended truss manufacturer in litigation and arbitration concerning construction defects and collapse of luxury residential home with damages claimed in excess of $4 million.
- Assists construction companies in various trades to create standardized “form” contract documents and review of contractual obligations.